Monday, May 27, 2013

Pests, Plants, & Growth

It's been raining like crazy the past week or so.  Really wish I had a rain barrel so I could make use of that water this summer!  Oh well, I'll get one for next year for sure!

Pests! I've put crushed egg shell down to deter the slugs.  So far that seems to be doing the trick.  They were especially interested in my dill plant and it's already looking less droopy and less munched on.  I'm pretty sure I've got flea beetles that are making a meal of one of my California Wonder pepper plants.  I need to make a concoction of water and chili powder that I read about online to spray on it.  Hopefully get to that today.  Something has completely chewed up my basil plant.  I wonder if it's the cats... Has anyone heard of cats eating basil?  It's too much damage to be something small and putting eggshell around it didn't make a difference...


Other than the pest thing everything is growing pretty good.  My onions and lettuce are coming along nicely.  I figure another week or so and I should be able to start thinning/transplanting.  The yellow California Wonder has a bloom on it.  So far no blooms on the tomatoes but they've got a lot taller.

New plants! I got some strawberry plants and a bush cucumber that I put in the planters that +Bartholomew Brandner gave me.  Also sowed some more lettuce seeds cause we eat a lot of salad.
Ozark beauty Strawberries 

Bush Cucumber & Devil's Tongue Romaine Lettuce
Something strange is going on with the cucumber leaves - they look all dried out and lost color despite all the rain we've had.  I'm not sure why and need to look into it.  I asked Bart and he recommended calling the Metro Master Gardeners for advice, so I'm gonna see about doing that tomorrow.

My mom, +Diana Saxon, started her own blog about her patio garden too.  I'm really excited for her and she's got a lot of stuff posted already so go on over and check it out at Gardening by the Inch.  She's done some really neat things using pallets and wooden produce boxes.

Today we went to Hoyt Arboretum at Washington Park.  The weather was kinda funny for it, misty/sprinkling for most of it then a great deluge for about 5 minutes.  We had a lot of fun though.  I'll post pictures later, though I didn't take many.  Hope to go back again soon when the weather is better.  Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment